Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Hope you Troopers haven't given up on me.

Time to start cramming some more 2d Dragoon trivia/history down your throats. Enjoy and learn!

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This first question is going to be a three-part question, and you have to answer all three parts correctly to claim the prize. First correct answer will be rewarded with a nice 4" window decal like the patch pictured here.

Part 1: Which Colonel of the Regiment served on the tribunal that tried the Lincoln Assassination Conspirators?

Part 2: What years did he serve as Colonel of the Regiment?

Part 3: What is his modern day connection to Dragoon Base?

Ok here goes, our 9th Colonel served on the tribunal, Colonel David R. Clendenin. He commanded the Regiment from 29 Oct 1888 until 2 Apr 1891. and the third part is that his descendant is here on Dragoon base living in the state of Washington?

Looks like you earned yourself a decal, Brother!

Cool !! I was not sure about the third part, I took a  guess on that part.

Yea, The Col.was a relation to James Clendenen  who by the way served with me at Pond Barracks.

Dave, 

You & Shannon spent too much time together when you went to Europe last year.  He now knows what you know.  Tankers are like that.

Yeah Max, we did suck down quite a few suds together. He hasn't hit that 60 barrier yet though. THAT might slow him down!

more-more !!! good way to learn our (2nd Cav) history and fun!!

Next question:

This 2d Cavalry officer and two handpicked men, one a 2d Cavalry sergeant and one a private from the Signal Corps, explored 1500 miles of Alaska's uncharted interior alone, with occasional help from natives they met along the way. The sergeant became ill early in the exploration and was forced to drop out.

What are the names of the 2d Cavalry officer and sergeant, and what years did the officer serve with the 2d Cavalry?

1st Lt Henry T Allen & Sgt Cady Robertson

Lt Allen served Jun 13, 1882 to Jun 3, 1898

They left Vancouver Barracks, WA Jan 27 1885 to explore Alaska with Pvt Fickett, Signal Corps

Looks like a clean sweep for Frank. Excellent answer, Brother!

Nothing like leaving in the middle of winter to explore Alaska.

True...but at least they didn't have the Black Flies and Bears to contend with...just wolves..

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

9th Colonel of the Regiment David R. Clendenin 29 Oct 1888 – 2 Apr 1891

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2019   Created by Dave Gettman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service