Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Hope you Troopers haven't given up on me.

Time to start cramming some more 2d Dragoon trivia/history down your throats. Enjoy and learn!

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point!

The officer was LT Henry T Allen
The Sgt was SGT Cady Robertson
LT Allen served the regiment from 13 June 1882 to 3 June 1898

All correct, John. Too bad Frank beat you to the answer.

I think what John Willis was trying to tell us is that it's time for another question. First to provide the correct answer gets a prize.

The question is:

What breed of horse was issued to Companies A, C, and K, 2d Cavalry, at the remount depot at Jolo, Philippine Islands, 1904-05?

Good luck trying to find the answer to THIS question!

Polo horses?

Not sure if that is even a breed, Shannon. Would make for a great story though.

Dave,It probably is not a breed I was going to say thoroughbreds and then I saw this story,http://www.polomuseum.com/history_of_polo.htm

In the war years section of the story.

Good article, but it insinuates Teddy Roosevelt had horses during his charge up San Juan Hill, which he did not.

I found this article,   The Army did not buy a "breed" of horse they bought a "type" of horse.

Prior to the Spanish-American War remounts were procured mostly by agents for the Quartermaster of the Army. The desires of the Colonel of the regiment to receive the horses were very important. Often agents were used to procure horses for a regiment, with a board of officers appointed to inspect and select remounts from the horses offered. This program proved unworkable druring the Span-Am War and was replaced with the Remount Service.

Note that during this time there was a furious debate over the "ideal cavalry horse." Warfare was changing dramatically (with the introduction of long ranged artillery, repeating rifles, and automatic weapons). The traditional Cavalry roles were often being filled by Dragoons, Mounted Infantry, and Mounted Rifles. Each use required a slightly different type of horse. During the Boer War in South Africa the British had appalling wastage of horses, particularly from Europe. Those from the Americas, India, and Australia did much better on the South African Veldt. This, also, influenced the type of horse each army would procure.

From the Spanish-American War onward the Remount Service specified a "Thoroughbred-type" horse as it's ideal standard. A large number of good stallions were placed around the U.S. Anyone could breed to these stallions and if a stallion was produced the Army had a "right of purchase at market value" on the get. In fact not all that many were bought, but part of the program was to have a good supply of good horses available in the event of a war. This paid some dividends in WWI, even though there was little Cavalry action in Europe.

And, as Tamara has noted, it had a profound effect on the development of the AQH.

For saddle use, 90%+ of the stallions were TBs, with the remainder being mostly Arabians and Morgans (those being donated to the Army).

There was also a demand for Field Artillery horses and Morgans were favored for this work. For heavier guns draft horses were used (until replaced by mechanical tow devices).

One place you can find some information that might be useful to you is the Society of the Military Horse. Google it and you'll find the site and forum. There are a number of threads there and some knowledgeable folks who can answer some of your questions.

Been a member of the Society of the Military Horse site for several years. Don't agree with the WW I reference though. The 2d Cavalry, who were the only ones to fight mounted on horseback during WW I, had to scrounge for broken down French farm animals to ride as no horses were brought from the States.

Consider the location before taking a guess. We're talking about the Philippines. Pretty hard to ship horses there from the US.

From what I can find it seems that all Filipino breeds originated from the Andalusian and a Chinese mare, as  well as Arabian stallions, Mexican mustangs, Timor ponies thrown into the mix and my source also says some American thoroughbreds were introduced into the mix, not sure if that was before or after the date of our campaign in the Philippines   and the breed I came up with is the Kabayo. Is that anywhere close?

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

9th Colonel of the Regiment David R. Clendenin 29 Oct 1888 – 2 Apr 1891

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2019   Created by Dave Gettman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service