Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Fellow Dragoons!! I am trying to collect information on all of the border camps 2d ACR had from 1948-1992. If you have stories, info, pictures, or anything else (IE: Berets, Uniforms, TA-50) PLEASE PLEASE post and share. We (2nd Cav Reed Museum) dont really have much info on the Cold War. I would like to build a file for future reference and to preserve YOUR history to the Regiment. Thank you all for your time and Service. Toujours Pret!

Views: 5201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave, I got that off of Chan the tailor. Think it is a Blazer Pocket patch. Never saw it worn on a uniform. I still have it though.

Dave that patch #9 its way cool when is that from, I've seen most of the others is that a 70's era patch? 

Same patch as #3, but with the border tabs added. He just cut the whole section of fatigue material out to keep them all together. Those patches were worn above the front left shirt pocket, not on the sleeve. That type patch was worn from 1945 to 1967. The border tabs from 1948-1955 and 1958-1967. From 1955-1958 the 2d Cav was at Ft. Meade, Maryland so they didn't wear the border tabs.

This photo is from Ft. Meade, 1957, during the period we traded places with 3d ACR in Operation Gyroscope and they went to Germany to guard the border. We were part of 2d Army at Ft. Meade, so have a big "2" patch on the shoulder.

Forgot to mention, you can click on the picture to enlarge it. Once enlarged, click on it again to make it huge. Note the 2d Cav patch on the front of the shirt, 2d Army patch on sleeve, and the M-14's. White name tags, too. Definitely 1950's.

Nice picture !

But rifles are M1 Garand not M14's.

During wich period was 2nd Cav attached to 2nd Army?

Thanks Ben, my bad! I wouldn't know an M-1 if it shot me in the ass!!

2ACR was part of 2d Army at Ft. George G. Meade, Maryland from late 1955 to 1958 when they swapped places with 3ACR during Operation Gyroscope, in which entire units from the US would swap places with units in Europe.

Hey there, old tanker here , I was in that xchange from fort Meade to Germany . It was feb 8. 1958,
I went over on the troop ship. General Reese rose
I took boot fort mead in 1957' then went to Germany in the gyro move,
I remember u guys
Had to remove my big 2. Ha

Here are some of Weiden and Gates (3rd Sqdn) 1964-66.

Attachments:

Nice pictures, Rob. You must have had the same room I did at Camp Pitman in Weiden...2d floor right across from the flag pole.

I was in the 3d Battalion at Amberg from 1952 - 1955.  During that time we ran our border patrols from Kaserrns Cs at Weiden and Hof only, with the Recon Companies rotating - 6 weeks on and 12 Weeks off.  When I arrived we were in the Constabulary. I dont recall any other special uniform items with the exception of the green epaulette attaachment denoting a commander of troops.   Border also patroled by our one Bn aircraft - a little Cessna we called the L-19, after the size of the engine.  One of my extra duties.was an   observer. With the exception of a unplanned trip into Czech  airspace and being shot at, this was good duty since I drew Flight pay - an extra $125 a month - big deal then.  One of our Pilots was Lt Jim Merriman who, I have heard, later became involved in the beginnings

of the AirCav and became a BG.                               Joe McCollough - former Captain 2d Cav 1952 to 1957

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service