Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Fellow Dragoons!! I am trying to collect information on all of the border camps 2d ACR had from 1948-1992. If you have stories, info, pictures, or anything else (IE: Berets, Uniforms, TA-50) PLEASE PLEASE post and share. We (2nd Cav Reed Museum) dont really have much info on the Cold War. I would like to build a file for future reference and to preserve YOUR history to the Regiment. Thank you all for your time and Service. Toujours Pret!

Views: 6406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sounds like a great time you had...also on me bucket list to see old stomping grounds,although I was at Amberg,its still great to see pics of where you all were at,hope to see you get them posted....  "Toujours Pret"

Sounds like a great trip Phillip, one I hope to make before I kick the bucket. I checked out the old road down to Bindlach on Google maps and saw a what looks like an historical plaque near where the gasthaus was but  I couldn't read it. Did you notice that? I hope you have pictures.

E.J. I don't have any pics or equipment to share but have a few stories if you can use them. I was stationed with HHT 3/2 77-80 and did plenty of patrols at May and Rotz. Once while on night patrol we were going just along the border on a paved road. We were using our blackout drives and I was driving he trail jeep with the section sergeant and an E2. We spotted some lights in the road ahead of us and lights just across the border in a tree line. The section sgt. halted the patrol to access and proceed. He put us on radio silence and we approached the lights in the road. The lead jeep got to far ahead of us and we lost visual so the section sgt. halted us and told us to sit tight he was going to walk ahead. My self and the E2 dismounted and locked and loaded our M-16's. The section sgt was gone for about 15 mins when I could see the faint image of someone walking toward us. I shouted halt (more like a very load whisper) the challenge. I got no password so I challenged again still no password. I heard the E2 click his safety off just in time for the section sgt. to walk into our blackout drives. To say the least I was pissed. I asked him why didn't he come back with the password? He didn't answer we just hopped in and took off. The lights in the tree line was unknown but the lights in the road ahead of us was Zoll checking out the same lights.

I posted some pictures I took while I was in Amberg  1966 to 1968. Here are links to a slide show videos I recently put on youtube. Please share with Dragoons. Also, If you hit the subscribe button, you can see some of my Vietnam photos.
Bill Miller

https://youtu.be/z7OP03-o36Y

Attachments area

Preview YouTube video 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment3rd Reconnaissance SquadronI Troop

2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Reconnaissance Squadron, I Troop

Great slide show Bill. Thanks for sharing!

When I was there 1974-75, Gates and Pitman were in the 1st Squadron AO.

You probably recognize this border crossing at OP 51 near Waidhaus. The trees on the trail have grown a little since you took tour photo.

OP 51 Waidhaus. That was The Camp Pitman OP, right?img035.jpg

I have several pics of Gates and Pitman 66 to 68. I was a Tanker in I Troop.

You can view all of my pics from the border, Pond Barracks, Graf and Hohenfels on you tube. I can send you the pics if you like.

https://youtu.be/z7OP03-o36Y

Attachments:

2/2 ACR Echo Troop 19E20 / 1981 to 1984 Bamberg.

Awesome pictures, was really neat to see them. Thank you

I was stationed on the rock from 76-79 in HHT Trans section and went several times with line units to border patrols...I being from HHT ran rations to the border camps...camp Gates...camp Pittman...dont remember the name of the other one...but stayed at Gates and that was my only job even through alerts usually a 6 month gig...was great!

RSS

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service