Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Fellow Dragoons!! I am trying to collect information on all of the border camps 2d ACR had from 1948-1992. If you have stories, info, pictures, or anything else (IE: Berets, Uniforms, TA-50) PLEASE PLEASE post and share. We (2nd Cav Reed Museum) dont really have much info on the Cold War. I would like to build a file for future reference and to preserve YOUR history to the Regiment. Thank you all for your time and Service. Toujours Pret!

Views: 5386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Dave. What about the guest house at the borton of the hill. I was alway there on week-end my my local girfriend and then into Bindlach but I can't think of the places we went. Fifty years is a long time. I wish I could remember. Did you ever get to the guest house? It was a hike back up the hill when you had to much of the beer. I remember paying 1 mark for a beer. Not now I'm sure.

Phillip... one of the the local watering holes in your time near Bindlach we used to call mom's. They was another kinda down in the valley behind the mechanic shops,

. They may have been another down by the four- lane.

I'm pretty sure I made it down there once, Phillip, but don't remember much of the trip but the walk back. I was only there a year and we spent most of that on the border, at Graf, Hohenfels, or in the field somewhere.

Thanks Dave but I'm sure I was down that hill within the first week. Hof and Cronark( wrong spelling) were our border locations and then there was Graf. We had an operation Marion Rock and our company was the aggressors. What a cold trip. Mid winter and 1-2 ft of snow on the ground. I loved my time in Germany of course there isn't very much use for an APC drive back home M-86, M-113 and then the scout vehicle M-112 OH well. I guess I'll see what else is there. I sure would be funny if I ran up against my old girl friend

Ya, Ronni,  I don't remember the name but that doesn't mean anything...sometimes I don't remember my wife's name. I can't wait to get back there and take a bunch of pictures. Fifty years of habben nien deuch beir ( wish I knew how to write in German) anyway when I get back, I'll see who I need to contact to have the photos posted if you guys want to see them.

Heck yeah we want to see 'em.

If you go to my profile, you can see 15 pictures I took up on the "Rock" and in Bayreuth when I was there in 2008, including the old officer's club in Bayreuth (me standing in front, leaves all over the ground). We used to live right across the street from the officer's club when my dad was in the 2d Cav 1953-55.

Click this link to see the photos: http://dragoonbase.com/photo/albums/bayreuthbindlach-2008

I remember the little Gasthaus at the bottom of the hill Phillip. I had my first Jager Schnitzel there. (sp?) I walked up that hill quite a few times when I lived down in Bindlach. I envy you. I hopre to get back  there before I die. My Mothers family was from the area but I didn't find that out until years later. Have a great trip.

Hi Gene,

My wife and I  just arrived back home from Germany and now the catch up on jet lag hits. I went to Bindlach and went thru the old base. Like everyone who has been there, it isn't the same. The guard house, dependent quarters are all that is left. There is a portion of the old air strip still there but everything else is gone from what I remember.

The road down to the Guesthas is closed to vehicle traffic but I drove down it anyway. I reme,ber it be steep but I did not remember how long. The Guesthas is now a private home and the present owners do not know anything about the Army being up the hill.

I went to Hof and found the Barracks where we stayed but now it is a secret training base for the Polizei. I tried to get in with my military ID card and I was npt allowed. I went across the street and took some pictures and I was questioned about what I was dong taking pictures of this secret base. Without turning this into a novel, after talking to hime for a while, explaining why and who and time frame, it comes to find out that his wife’s sister was married to a GI who was based there. He showed me his 2 A/C "T" shirt that was given to him. He asked me if I wanted to go in and I jumped at the chance. No pictures were allowed but I was able to identify the NCO club and the tank farm as well as the motor pool. The barracks are now offices/ quarters for the polizei

Went to the old border and it is as if nothing was ever there. I think I found a marker but I’m not sure. I have pictures I can post but not sure how to do it. It cost a lot of money to do what I did but it was on my bucket list and now its done.

sounds like a great time you had...also on me bucket list to see old stomping grounds,although I was at Amberg,its still great to see pics of where you all were at,hope to see you get them posted....  "Toujours Pret"

Sounds like a great trip Phillip, one I hope to make before I kick the bucket. I checked out the old road down to Bindlach on Google maps and saw a what looks like an historical plaque near where the gasthaus was but  I couldn't read it. Did you notice that? I hope you have pictures.

E.J. I don't have any pics or equipment to share but have a few stories if you can use them. I was stationed with HHT 3/2 77-80 and did plenty of patrols at May and Rotz. Once while on night patrol we were going just along the border on a paved road. We were using our blackout drives and I was driving he trail jeep with the section sergeant and an E2. We spotted some lights in the road ahead of us and lights just across the border in a tree line. The section sgt. halted the patrol to access and proceed. He put us on radio silence and we approached the lights in the road. The lead jeep got to far ahead of us and we lost visual so the section sgt. halted us and told us to sit tight he was going to walk ahead. My self and the E2 dismounted and locked and loaded our M-16's. The section sgt was gone for about 15 mins when I could see the faint image of someone walking toward us. I shouted halt (more like a very load whisper) the challenge. I got no password so I challenged again still no password. I heard the E2 click his safety off just in time for the section sgt. to walk into our blackout drives. To say the least I was pissed. I asked him why didn't he come back with the password? He didn't answer we just hopped in and took off. The lights in the tree line was unknown but the lights in the road ahead of us was Zoll checking out the same lights.

Attachments:

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service