Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Fellow Dragoons!! I am trying to collect information on all of the border camps 2d ACR had from 1948-1992. If you have stories, info, pictures, or anything else (IE: Berets, Uniforms, TA-50) PLEASE PLEASE post and share. We (2nd Cav Reed Museum) dont really have much info on the Cold War. I would like to build a file for future reference and to preserve YOUR history to the Regiment. Thank you all for your time and Service. Toujours Pret!

Views: 6000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats pretty cool story. Too bad guys dont do this kind of stuff anymore.

We used to get away with quite a bit in the old Cav. Had several USAREUR bigwigs come down on us over the years about various patches, our berets, yellow scarves, tanker boots and jackets, lots of stuff. We just waited until they were out of sight and it was back to business as usual.

Who started the "black beret" for 2d ACR and why?

Excellent question, Eric. Wish I had an answer for you. All the border Cavalry regiments wore them going back to the early 70's.

Not sure why but when I got there in May of 74 they had been wearing them about a year, maybe a little less, if I remember correctly, Most of the guys there at the time were draftees with only a few months left. Talk about a real FTA attitude, lol! But I learned alot from them before they left. Randy Skinner turned me onto Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Sweet Home Alabama" ...takes me right back to my first months in K Troop still to this day.

Yellow scarves were required during my tour 64-66. Also camo scarves while on the border.

I was in I Troop 66 to 68 and we were required to wear the yellow ones, and the camo anytime we were on the border or in the field training.

I've got several photos from Hof and Gates on the site here.  Help yourself to any you like.  Think I was limited to 100 photos on here, but I've probably got some more if there is anything in particular you're looking for.

Thanks for the offer. I tried looking at your pics but you have them set to private.

This is what it looks like, Eric (#2). This is not the one I sent, but one like it. Thought I had a picture, but can't find it. Hell, it might still be here in the piles of stuff I've yet to send!!

WOW!! NICE COLLECTION!!!

The guy that owned these (and MANY more!) passed away several years ago. No idea what happened to his collection.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service