Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Hey guys,

I had a border vet come into the musuem a few days ago and he was telling me about Border Caps, and said after the regiment stopped wearing berets that the guys started wearing border caps which were patrol caps with rank and a border tab over the rank and the soldiers name tape sewn to the back.  I would love to see some pics of ones.  Also if someone has one they would like to donate i would love to display it in our cold war case. 

Thanks

Ryan

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These were the caps we wore. 

Attachments:

Thanks for the pics, VERY COOL!  I especially like the one with the Grease gun!

Take care

Ryan

I donated mine to a museum the city of Amberg put up in the Rathaus. When we drew down. It may still be there.

Ray,

Next time I am in Amberg I will check and see if I can find it, if so I will post some pics!

Take care

Ryan

The caps in the pictures appear to be Pile Caps, not Border Caps.  The Border Caps were the same design as that of what was worn when the woodland Camo came out, but was OD green.  The Border Tab was on the fron with the rank below it. I have pictures somewhere, and when I moved 2 years ago, I know I saw mine in a box of memories somewhere...... Will look to dig out pictures and possibly the actual cap.

Yeah... Those guys are holding the old WWII M-4's.. and yes those are pile caps... Wrong decade.

I arrived at the Pond in 1973.. we were wearing berets back then along with yellow scarfes in dress greens.. we were also allowed to blouse our dress greens.. just like the airborne guys... Somewhere along the line they took our berets away and we went back to the utility baseball hat. I left in 77.. I would like to see the authorized headgear  after that. We were the bread and butter of 7th Corps... and some ways we were special.

Here's my Patrol Cap! not my original,but the exact same cover,and with the original Border Tab and pukeing eagle.We wore these when I was in Amberg 1981-82. Trap Force ready Sir!!

Good job, Rob!

Very Cool Rob thanks for posting!

Ryan, I will be TDY in Germany next month and will take a week leave afterward and would like to come by the museum. I was stationed at Camp Hof 1983 - 1985 when the Museum was up there. Could you tell me hours of the museum? I will dig through some of my old war relics and pictures and see if there is anything you may want for the museum. Thanks, David

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service