Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Any buddy know where to find these camps on Google earth? I know they are around Rotz and Regan but can"t find them. Or are they gone?

Views: 4004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Mark!  I was at Rotz Border Camp in 1965 and 66 with the 9th Cav.  Back in prehistoric time. ha

Man I am confused. I was in I Troop 3rd sqdn 2AC from 1963-6/66 in Amberg. I have never heard of Camp May or Reed. We only went to Weiden and Gates. 

Hey, I remember hearing of Weiden.  I was at Rotz Border Camp permanent party. Some of our unit would staff the camp at Regan.  Why they changed their names, I don't know.  May and Reed.  Had some fun times over there.  The Arco bier was great.  Flip tops. 

Rob, 1st Squadron took over Weiden (Camp Pitman) and Camp Gates. Can't quote you a year right off the top of my head. The border assignments changed quite a bit during the 45+ years the 2d Cav was there.

this guy spent many hours linking former locations to google maps

lots of bases and camps linked..

expect some surprises!

http://www.mihalko-family.com/Cold%20War%20Army%20Posts.htm#Nürnberg

Thanks for all that work. It is really interesting. Looks like Camp Gates was turned into a solar farm and all those beautiful trees are gone. Progress...

We(3rd sqd 2nd acr)took camp reed in 67. Went to the bar down the hill quite often. We'd stay til the CPs came to chase us out. Then we'd disconnect the low oil safety and go back to the camp and wait for them to call for mechanics for help. When we got there we told them it would take a little time to repair, so just take our jeep back and we'd be there as soon as it was fixed. We'd stay about another hour and then head back. Worked every time.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

7th Colonel of the Regiment John P. Hatch

26 June 1881 - 9 January 1886

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service