Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Good evening to all 2nd Cavalry Troopers,

I know that many of us, perhaps not all, have a Cavalry Hat. It may be a Stetson or any other Slouch or Western style. Most that I have seen have a 3 or 4 inch brim, 4 to 5 inch Crown with a Center Crease and some have a pinch towards the front. Most usually Black in Colour, although there are a couple of units that wear a Tan colored hat

I have set up 2 hats and one Tam for the 3 Cavalry Units that I served in. One for the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, one for the 12th Cavalry Regiment and the Scottish Tam for the 10th Cavalry Regiment (looks different but kinda cool)

Now, what to put on it .... and where? 

I have read this: Cav Hat MOI and understand what it says. Crossed Sabers with or without Regimental numbers and Rank insignia, centered on the front of the Crown and the DUI (Crest) centered on the back. This is for Active Duty Personnel mostly. Does it hurt for someone, like me, Former Military but not retired, to put the DUI above the Sabers on the front? Which is how I have done it.  OR.....should I buy some E-5 Rank Pins to put on the front and move the DUI's to the rear?

I invite all members of Dragoon Base to post pictures of their Cavalry Hats, if you so wish.

Views: 24633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok. quick question. I went to CavHooah, ordered my Stetson, dragoon orange cord, and I know its at my house waiting for me, so that will be nice when I get home in a few days. I also am ordering the "everyday" Stetson that at spur of the moment. My question is, Is there any reason why I can't wear one of these daily? I also need to find somewhere to get the border tabs. I haven't made up my mind yet how I want the hats to look, so I'm looking at all options. Thanks.

Well Wayne, Cavalry Stetsons are only supposed to be worn at Cavalry functions, to include Cavalry funerals, Cavalry reunions, that kind of stuff.

Good luck finding a border tab. For awhile we were getting them from a Dragoon Base member here who had his neighbor making them for us, but she isn't making them anymore.

Thanks for the reply. Now I know. Good thing I had two hat racks being done up, so I'll have somewhere to put them.

I sometimes will wear my Stetson on Memorial and Veteran's Day, if I am working.

Changed the Rank Pins to the Gold tone Sp-5 pins. Finally found some that didn't mind paying the price for. SP-5 E-5 was my actual rank, but had put on SGT E-5 pins as they were easier to find....and...that the Army did away with the SP-5 rank in the mid 80's.  Really didn't want to pay $9+ for ONE pin...finally got them for under $6 each.

Tomorrow.... the 23rd of May ..... is Our Regiment's 179th Birthday!!  "TOUJOURS PRET"

I will be wearing my Stetson as I go to work on the 23rd, not only for the Regimental Birthday, but Memorial Day as well.

ok, new somewhat important question(s). I have both the Stetson from spur, as well as a hat from cavhooah. I need to properly set up both. how do I shape the one from cav, since its not wool, and how do I properly place everything on both hats. there are regulations for everything, and since current members have Stetsons, there has to be regulations stating how far each piece needs to be, whether it be the sabres, rank, unit crest, etc. since I travel a lot, the Stetson goes with me, and the other one I will have at home for occasions there.

Wayne,

Not sure how to shape a non wool hat brim. Maybe one of the other guys would know.

As to placement of the pins / emblems:

[to the best of my knowledge] Active Service Members wear the Sabers and Rank on the front and DUI  centered on the rear.

Retired and Former Service members have more latitude as to placement. Some put the DUI over the Regimental Sabers on the front of the Stetson and other pins on the back and or sides.

My 2d Cav Stetson [currently] has the Sp5 Rank pin above the Sabers on the front, DUI on the rear, with a 7th Army and 7th Corps pins flanking it.

Hope this helps you.

Wayne,

Can't help you with the shaping, but I can advise on set-up and back-up what Frank said.

There are no set regulations, as Stetson's are not an issued military item but a tradition. It is up to the individual unit commander to set the terms of wear. 2d Cavalry Regiment is roughly as follows:

It has to be black. There is at least one Cavalry unit that wears white, but it ain't us! There are likely limits to brim size and shape, but I don't know them. There is a lot of room for personal choice.

Regimental crossed sabers on the front with rank centered above.

Unit DUI centered in the rear.

Yellow cord for Cavalry enlisted and NCO's or branch color; i.e., Infantry Blue, Artillery Scarlet Red, Medic Cardinal Red, Aviation Blue/Orange, Engineer Red/White, Ordnance Red/Yellow with Yellow Acorns, etc. There are quite a few.

Warrant Officer's cord is Silver/Black. Senior Warrant Officer is Solid Silver.

Officer's cord is Gold/Black. Senior Officer is solid gold.

As civilians, we have even more freedom of expression. We can add other pins on the side, like miniatures of medals we were awarded, or DUI's from other units we served in and pins from veterans groups we belong to. Just can't put your old "F.T.A." button on there. I swapped the rank out on the front for a BORDER tab above the crossed sabers.

thanks for the help guys. the Stetson I got from spur is already pre-shaped, so that won't be a problem. the one that looks like the picture above, from cavhooah, will need work. what I was wanting to know is if there were any regs stating how far either the DUI, or rank, or sabres, had to be from something else, say the brim of the hat, since there are regs for everything else that state how far down to the 16th of an inch how far something has to be from something else. I guess i'll fall back onto squadron s-3 rules: "Make it look GOOD!"

Yeah Wayne, no regs. Stetsons are different sizes and shapes so you can't go by measurements. As you said, make it look good.

Wayne,

The Cav Hat I got from cavhooah was preshaped. I know they have several styles and types.

Here's mine, but I have now put SP5 Pin on the front.

Post a picture when you get it set up.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2019   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service