Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Good evening to all 2nd Cavalry Troopers,

I know that many of us, perhaps not all, have a Cavalry Hat. It may be a Stetson or any other Slouch or Western style. Most that I have seen have a 3 or 4 inch brim, 4 to 5 inch Crown with a Center Crease and some have a pinch towards the front. Most usually Black in Colour, although there are a couple of units that wear a Tan colored hat

I have set up 2 hats and one Tam for the 3 Cavalry Units that I served in. One for the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, one for the 12th Cavalry Regiment and the Scottish Tam for the 10th Cavalry Regiment (looks different but kinda cool)

Now, what to put on it .... and where? 

I have read this: Cav Hat MOI and understand what it says. Crossed Sabers with or without Regimental numbers and Rank insignia, centered on the front of the Crown and the DUI (Crest) centered on the back. This is for Active Duty Personnel mostly. Does it hurt for someone, like me, Former Military but not retired, to put the DUI above the Sabers on the front? Which is how I have done it.  OR.....should I buy some E-5 Rank Pins to put on the front and move the DUI's to the rear?

I invite all members of Dragoon Base to post pictures of their Cavalry Hats, if you so wish.

Views: 21978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By now, most of you know of my Scottish Heritage, or you may not.

Anyhow, that being the case, I decided to experiment a bit. To honor

both my Scottish Heritage and having been a member of the 2nd ACR.

The next couple of pics are a Scottish Balmoral Bonnet with 2nd ACR  DUI 

and Sabers where the Clan Badge usually is affixed.

Here's another hat in the collection. Also served with this unit.

Frank,

Got my ass handed to me in a bar a few years ago by an off duty Cavalry officer. I was returning from the funeral of the 2d Cavalry's first Afghanistan KIA, Lt. Bennedsen, and stopped to have a beer and unwind a little from the experience.

Had my Stetson sitting on the table, like yours is in the photo, when I got a stern lecture about resting my Stetson on the brim. "NEVER.....!"

If ya gotta set it down, unless on a stand or rack of course, upside down sitting on the crown. Makes for a lousy picture though.

Speaking of hat racks, I noticed you mentioned CAVHOOAH. The nice folks over there have some.

The owner, Dan Carbone, had a set of gold spurs delivered to me in under 18 hours of e-mailing him so our Honorary Regimental Colonel could present them to Lt. Bennedsen's family at the above mentioned funeral. Thereafter Dan supplied spurs without cost to the 2d Cav Association for presentation at every funeral for our 2d Cav 2010-11 Afghanistan KIA's/DOW's.

Oh, never mind Frank. I see you have the same hat rack for your 12th Cav Stetson as I do. Guess I should pay more attention. Did you get that at CAVHOOAH?

I sure did Dave. I also bought the Hat I have the 2nd Cav Sabers on from them

The Hat racks I got from CAVHOOAH were just the metal part. I got the plaques at Michael's Craft Store and did the finish on them and then I put a DUI on the bottom of the plaque.

Look a wee bit closer at the 2nd CAV Hat, you will see that it is on a stemmed bowl, not flat on a table :)  Guess I need to buy another rack for the hat I have the 10th CAV  pins on. Bought that one from the 2nd Cav Store.

Oh, I noticed the glass stem, Frank. Saved you another lecture!

Nice job on the racks.

Got the 10th Cav Hat off the brim. Put it on the head form that I used for the Tam pics.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service