Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Good evening to all 2nd Cavalry Troopers,

I know that many of us, perhaps not all, have a Cavalry Hat. It may be a Stetson or any other Slouch or Western style. Most that I have seen have a 3 or 4 inch brim, 4 to 5 inch Crown with a Center Crease and some have a pinch towards the front. Most usually Black in Colour, although there are a couple of units that wear a Tan colored hat

I have set up 2 hats and one Tam for the 3 Cavalry Units that I served in. One for the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, one for the 12th Cavalry Regiment and the Scottish Tam for the 10th Cavalry Regiment (looks different but kinda cool)

Now, what to put on it .... and where? 

I have read this: Cav Hat MOI and understand what it says. Crossed Sabers with or without Regimental numbers and Rank insignia, centered on the front of the Crown and the DUI (Crest) centered on the back. This is for Active Duty Personnel mostly. Does it hurt for someone, like me, Former Military but not retired, to put the DUI above the Sabers on the front? Which is how I have done it.  OR.....should I buy some E-5 Rank Pins to put on the front and move the DUI's to the rear?

I invite all members of Dragoon Base to post pictures of their Cavalry Hats, if you so wish.

Views: 21138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking good Wayne!   Toujours Pret

Frank,

Quick question, during my days with the regiment the enlisted wore the sabers and DUI on the front and rank on the back.  Is there any right or wrong way of set up these days?  

Lonny,

Good morning! For those of us NO longer in the Army, there is no set rule of how to set it up.

From recent pictures of the Regiment, they are wearing Rank over the Sabers on the front and the DUI centered on the Rear.

I have had the DUI over the Sabers on the front, but currently have Rank pin over the Sabers right now. The DUI, a 7th Army pin and a 7th Corps pin on the rear.

So, basically, do it so it looks good to you. Wear it with Cavalry Pride!

Toujours Pret!

Rank on the front over crossed sabers. DUI centered in the rear.

question!!  as a former cav trooper with M Co. 1975-1978 pond barracks, my question is this! are we authorized to wear a cav Stetson with insignia even though they were not issued at tthat time!!!

Stetsons are not an issued item, Richard. Wear away, brother, we are authorized!

Spent 2 days displaying my truck at the Airpower show at Lunken Airfield in Cincinnati. EAA/CAF had their B29, B25, P51, Corsair, A6's and more on display. Here is a picture of the other things on display. The Stetson drew all the attention.

Attachments:

Way to go, Larry!!!

Some Nice Accessories to go with the Stetson Larry!

A interesting article, The Myth and Reality of the US Cavalry  Stetson.http://hubpages.com/education/The-Myth-and-Reality-of-the-US-Cavalr...

Saw an article on the morning news about Stetson. Guess they aren't doing so well and looking to revive their market. The CEO is a little gal from Japan. No mention of the part we have played in keeping them in business. Ungrateful bastards!

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service