Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

There is now a bill before congress that would authorize a Cold War Medal, for those who served two years during the Cold War. It is known as H.R. 2067. (click HR2067 to read bill) would urge all Dragoon Base troopers to call their congressmen(women) and urge them to support this bill. 

Go to U.S. Congress website to find your representative, then email or call them.

Sample Letter:

There is in congress, H.R.2067, a bill that would award a new medal called the "Cold War Medal". This bill would provide Cold War veterans this award from our country for our service during the longest undeclared war in our countries history. As a former trooper with the 2nd Armored Cavalry, I was assigned to patrol the border between the East and West during this war. I would like your support and/or co sponsorship on this bill. Thank you.

Views: 973

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope your VA Hospital is better than the one here in Oklahoma City.

I am working with Congressman Todd Young and his staff to arrange a meeting with the chairman of the Veterans Affairs committee and a chance to testify in front of them about this next year.  I am using the first three books in my book series as a tool to lobby for this.  The books have real stories about real veterans that served in Germany and Korea and what we went through.  I hope to have two more books published by then to also distribute when I go to DC.  Trust me, I'm going as either a guest or to stand outside their offices with a big sign, passing out my books to anyone who will take one.

I used the books in Indiana to get the state to recognize disabled Cold War veterans for state benefits.  Right now veterans have to have served during a time of war to qualify for state benefits.  Working with legislators, I have been assured that a bill will be introduced, and likely passed, that extends this to include us disabled Cold War veterans.

It takes more than emailing representatives folks.  Make appointments and go see them. It's not easy lobbying for something but this is to important of an issue to just email.  I have an award winning book series to help me get my foot in the door and I'm using it.  If you need help with your representative, schedule a meeting and then contact me.  I'll help you any way I can.

Thanks for all you are doing for the Cold War vet, Bob.

Here in Washington State they have some pretty good benefits for disabled vets. A few that I have been able to take advantage of due to my Cold War PTSD rating are:

Vastly reduced property tax.

Disabled veteran license plates and lifetime tabs.

Greatly reduced hunting and fishing license and tag fees.

In Indiana I got the disable license plate but had to have a disability rating of 60% or higher (mine is 80%) and at least 50% of the disability had to be related to lower extremity disabilities.  I can get the hunting and fishing license and state park annual passes for half price.

Had I served during a declared time of war, I could get the property tax break, and license plate fees paid.  I could also get my kids college paid for. So a kid who is from Indiana and breaks his ankle at Fort Benning during PT will be get at least a 10% disability rating when they get out and they will qualify for these benefits but as a Cold War veteran with an 80% rating that can hardly get around I don't.  Not to take away from combat veterans and their injuries but right now we are still in a declared state of war and yet there are only a few thousand soldiers in harms way, most of witch are Special Ops soldiers.  During the Cold War we probably had more Special Ops people in harms way because it was a different era and we all know now about the freedoms the military had back then to do secret ops.  Then there were the soldiers on the DMZ and those living in the stressful assignment in Germany, and at sea or on nuclear missile sites, etc... 

I am working to change this and believe it will be changed next year thanks to Representative Eric Koch opening many doors for me.  A disabled veteran is a disabled veteran no matter when they served.  Over 40% of Cold War veterans are disabled.  We didn't get disabled because we were sitting around the motor pool playing poker.

I am doing what I can do bring awareness to our service with my book series and using the books to open doors for lobbying efforts.

Maybe this SHOULD be brought to the attention of our NEW President  MR Trump  ! 

I think that should have gave us when we ETS out if I can help let me know

We don't need no stinking medals!

Hazardous duty pay would have been nice though. You were taking your life in your own hands walking into some of those bars in Bayreuth.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service