Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Do you still have your Dog Tags, when did you receive them, and where are they now???

Still have one my dog tags left, it is on my key chain and have never lost a set, because of the sound that they make when they hit the ground (except in the sand, which is where I lost the first one). 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment since 1972.

Views: 757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a frame with my dad's (WWII Air Corps) and my grandfather's (WWI Air Service) and my Cold War Horse (2How2ACR) Artillery.

I still wear my original set, issued Sep 81 at Ft McClellan, to work. If I ever crash and burn, they'll help the NTSB sort me from the rest of the crew.

Yes, in the dresser drawer. Got them at Ft. Riley; probably about 1969 or 1970, either when we switched to the SSN as the ID number, or as part of preparations for deployment to  Viet-Nam. Never did have the plastic or rubber covers, just put tape on them when the situation called for it.  I retired in 1988 and have only worn them a few times since, just when I've worn a uniform.

But I have wondered if I should wear them when doing my morning 1 1/2 - 2 mile "get the heart started" jaunts through the neighborhoods.  I don't take my wallet on these things and the dog tags should help get things going if I'm found along the road unable to communicate (temporarily or permanently).  I can see the evening news broadcast: "The old guy was hard core to the end, still wearing his dog tags!"  Maybe I should add a tattoo of our crest and give the Regiment some publicity!

My right forearm, front and back.

Now that's hard core, Dave.  Real hard core  -  and historical, too!

The "C" in C Troop is supposed to be a horseshoe. The guy kind of screwed it up.

I got the 2 1 cav emblem on my trucks but DAM that is hard core.

I still have mine from 1981 and put them on and where them when at a military truck show. or when flying.

I still have mine hanging around my neck where they were in the CAV.  Never take them off. I ride bike, and it's kind of a comfort if I have a wreck.  At least they will know my name, and blood type.

I have mine with the P-38 from basic training and the chain is sleeved with the outer casing of 5-50 green cord. I also have my dad's dog tags from WWII

I had no idea that I still had mine . Issued 9-5-1962 , when my mother pass my brothers and I were going through her things. She had saved those old dog-tags . Gee had forgot about them along time ago , mothers are like that.

Gave one of them to my wife for our second anniversary. Put it on a nice sterline silver chain and made them into a necklace. We both wore them for years. That was 38 years ago! And we're still married. Now my daughters want them.

RSS

Colonels of the Regiment

9th Colonel of the Regiment David R. Clendenin 29 Oct 1888 – 2 Apr 1891

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2021   Created by Dave Gettman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service