Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

I arrived in Amberg 25 years ago today.  I graduated from B-5C-1 on 5 June 1986 and went home to NY on leave.  I arrived at the 21st Replacement in Frankfurt for inprocessing, where I found out I was to be assigned to Third Squadron.  The bus dropped me and a couple of other guys from basic at Pond Barracks, where we reported to Inprocessing on the third floor over How Btry in our Class A's.  From there, I was assigned to L Trp.  I remember being a little scared and a little nervous, but some of the E4s in my platoon--SPC Gumbleton, SPC VanFleet, SPC Stubbs and SPC Garcia kind of took me under their wing and helped me get started on the right foot.  Good times and good friends.

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember VanFleet but from a few years later. I thinked he retired in the Ambergris area.

K Troop, 3/2 ACR. Amberg, FRG.  Geographically centered between Graf, Hohenfels, and the border.  It doesn't get any better han that for a 'cruit. Arrived in Feb. 78 to knee deep snow.  The impact that place had on me prompted me to stay in the Army and mostly in the Regiment for 20 years.  People like LTC Landry, LTC Mike Trahan, CSM Chittick, SFC Ron Parrett, CSM Jean Soucy, CSM Roger Stradley, MSG Bertie Ray, Maj. AJ Bacevich, Maj. Craig Lind, SGM Larry Oliver, MSG Larry Walsh, and countless other leaders steered me in the right direction.  It was through their mentorship that I grew up, learned to work hard,  and drink even harder.  I experienced excellent leadership under those I mentioned and pretty lousy guidance from those I didn't list.  First duty station makes a lasting impression.  I'm blessed to have started out in  K Trp, 3/2 ACR.  Toujours Pret- Always Ready!

Excellent leadership indeed.  Spent my last year in working for Mike Trahan when he was SXO at The Rock.

My first encounter with Iron Mike was during a road march.  He was K Trp's XO. While walking the length of our convoy, he gave me props for maintaining my interval & orientation at a halt.  I may have been a PFC.  As insignificant as it was, its still sticks with me.  15 years later, I ended up being his Squadron MG at Polk.  He told me what he wanted & got out of my way to let me do it. He was one tough, but fair, SOB!

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

9th Colonel of the Regiment David R. Clendenin 29 Oct 1888 – 2 Apr 1891

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2019   Created by Dave Gettman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service