Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Thought I might start a list of flavor experiences I've encountered recently, in the realm of German biers. I've discovered a treasure trove of some 600+ imported biers, and am prepared to squander the family fortune in persuit of the perfect bier.

As this could prove a daunting task, I am starting at the top so momentum will assist me.

My first offering is:
KOSTRIZER SCHWARZBIER, Germany's black lager, brewed by Kostrizer Schwarzbier Brauerei, Bad Kostritz/Thuringen.

Hope you have patience and a steady hand to pour this one, because it's got a helluva head on it. I seem to remember a question on the Army entrance exam's about pouring bier down the side of the glass. This is definitely the bier that requires this technique if you don't want an entire glass of foam. As far as taste....too heavy for my liking. Reminded me of a mouthful of burnt wood.

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup. That was an outstanding bier. No wonder Shannon and I had so much trouble finding our way back to the car!!

Hell yeah!!

It is Bockfest time in New Ulm Minnesota and our local brewery which is one of oldest in the country brews a Bock for the the Fest.
It is outstanding, creamy, smooth . Plenty of alcohol ,but, does not over power. They do bottle and ship some, but, it is only brewed once a year. Check out Schells Brewery. They are still in there original brick buildings . The brewery sits on a steep wooded hillside. Looks a lot like a visit to Kulmbach.

Pretty sure I told you Joe, but I was stationed in Neu Ulm, Germany for a short time before making my way to the 2d Cav. Loved it there and hated to leave, but I was having too much fun and got in a little trouble.

I'm not seeing anything Shannon.

Biergarten downtown Sacramento.

Well Shannon, let's see which ones off the German/Belgian list I've had....

Here are three of the heavy hitters in one sitting. ERDINGER DUNKELWEIZEN, FRANZISKANER DUNKEL WEISS, and WEIHENSTEPHANER VITUS battle group with attached support. I broke that 2d Dragoon stein in right!

HOFBRAU DUNKEL.

HOFBRAU MUNCHEN ORIGINAL.

PAULANER HEFE-WEIZEN (far right).

I haven't had the SPATEN PREMIUM LAGER, but I've had his big brother the DOPPELBOCK.

And last but not least, The WEIHENSTEPHANER KORBINIAN DOPPELBOCK. That makes more than half for sure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that German part of the menu is pretty damn good in my opinion.

The WARSTEINER WINTER SPECIAL EDITION sounds intriguing, but I've drank WARSTEINER PREMIUM VERUM and didn't care for it.

Come on down for a cold one this summer if you get a chance. I think I want to give that Radeberger pilsner a try next time, have you tried that one? And what is really cool is they will sell you a litre if you like, its all in kegs.

Just one?

Nope, haven't tried the Radeberger.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service