Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

This can be a place to talk of all things gun related. I think we have a lot of knowledge of guns on this site. And this could be a place to share that knowledge.This can be a place to ask opinions of various guns, ask for help with a problems related to guns or just talking about shooting in general.

Views: 15687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Warren,

I would like to build a flintlock from a kit, which kit would you  suggest?  I have never tried building a rifle from a kit, but have thought about it for a long time.  I don,t want to buy a piece of junk that will not hold up, so any info you could give me would be appreciated.

Hey RC, my experience with kits is confined to the TVM kits and the Pecatonia precarve stocks.  I'd recommend the TVM kit as the best one to start on.  A lot of the really tricky stuff is done for you, but there is still plenty of work to be done to make a nice rifle.  But even if it's not perfect when you're done, the result will be family heirloom level and will be a great shooter. 

I build a 36 cal squirrel rifle on the TVM Early Virginia kit and love it.  It was my first and is still my favorite after having done 4 of them now and starting on my 5th. 

I don't know the kits by Jim Chambers, but I'm told they are excellent also.  Any of these kits is going to set you back in the 800-900 range, but that's just the entry fee.  The tools you'll want to have and all the materials you'll want to use are likely to add up to a $1200 rifle.  That's about what I figured and about where mine came in.

I know you can get Lyman kits, perhaps Traditions and others that are lower end and quite a bit cheaper, but I don't have any experience with them.  Spend some time checking out youtube videos, especially Mike Bellivue's channel.  His 30 video series on his TOW Buck's county flintlock was what first inspired me to get into this.

Let me know if you have questions now or along the way and have a blast (no pun intended.)

The Army picked a new service pistol to replace the M9.http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/20/army-picks-sig-sauers-p320-h...

Trying to talk a buddy of mine into buying one so I can shoot it and see if I want one too. I love the way you can switch calibers, sights, grips, all kinds of stuff.

I got mine from SIG yesterday.  Full size, with night sights and two mags.  Put 100rds through it so far.  Great pistol.  Totally suitable replacement for the M9.  Mine has no safety lever, but I never use it so not a problem for me.  I can see it making trouble for troops with worry wart commanders, but frankly, safety is a training issue so it doesn't bother me.  The ability to swap out frames and calibers sounds nifty, but in actual practice it won't make a difference at the user level, it only helps the material guys change configurations easier and perhaps cheaper in the long run.

Glad to hear the positive review Warren. I bought the Berretta 92SB (walnut grips and rounded trigger guard) back when the Army replaced the beloved 1911, and it has been a great weapon and I am confident the Sig will live up to expectations or the Army would not have chosen it , usually the trials to win the contract are pretty brutal let's hope they have not lowered the standards.

We had the old 1911A1s when I was in 2ACR.  I was long gone before the Beretta showed up.  BTW, the SIG the Army's buying is all American, built here, thought the company is Swiss/German in origin.  I've kind of followed this acquisition process but was surprised when they finally came down on a firm buy.  I was expecting Glocks were going to be the winners.  BTW the American companies didn't fail to compete.  Actually the commercial Ruger American Pistol and the S&W M&P 2.0 were designed with the Army requirements in mind.  The CZ P-10C may well have been shooting at that mark as well.  Still, as a soldier, the P320 is going to be fine for a long time, as long as the concept of a handgun in a soldiers hands makes sense.

I got the Beretta 96A and really like it, but it is a load to carry and not much for concealment. More for open carry.

Dave,

I have a Beretta 96FS in .40S&W.  I really like it and it shoots/handles well. Yeah, it's a bit large for concealed carry.

I have the Taurus version in stainless

Put Hogue rubber grips on mine and it improved the feel 1000%.

92 SB [​IMG]

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

9th Colonel of the Regiment David R. Clendenin 29 Oct 1888 – 2 Apr 1891

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2020   Created by Dave Gettman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service