Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

I have always enjoyed She wore a Yellow Ribbon and Ft Apache. These were old John Wayne movies about life in the Cav. I have always wondered what Cav unit was being depicted in these movies. Every time there was a guidon I always look to see if I could see a unit designation. I have watched She wore a Yellow ribbon more time than I can count over the year. Well I just finished watching it agian and finally found my answer.

In the scene wher Cpt Brittles (John Wayne) was reviewing C Troop for the final time I saw on his cap the crossed sabers with the number 2 above them.... It was the 2nd Cav.

Views: 441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Edward,

I'm currently working on the early 2d Dragoon enlistments from the 2d Seminole War. Most died or deserted before their three or five year enlistments were up. Quite the long list of causes of death, but most just listed as "died". I've also found ten of the eleven victims of the Harney Massacre, 23 July 1839.

Probably a lot of fever and infectious diseases Dave, and yes Cavalry duty has unfortunately being the tough duty it was, and being away from the mainstream brought out the criminals, and deserters to it's ranks!

Watched Dances With Wolves last night for the first time in quite awhile and When Costners character went west after the Civil war for his new assignment he wanted to be out in the Armys farthest outpost on the frontier he went to Fort Hayes to report and it was the 2nd Cavalry he reported to, would that have been in Kansas? and do you think it was our 2nd  Cav?

We were the only post-Civil War 2d Cav.

Troop C moved to Fort Hays November 1865. Looks like Costner was one of ours!

Just finished watching a western made in 2017 called The ballad of Lefty Brown Starring Bill Pullman and Peter Fonda and Jim Caviezel also Tommy Flanaghan from sons of Anarchy. the movie takes place in Montana in the late 1880's towards the end of the movie the scene in town shows troopers from the 2nd Cavalry I looked up our history and we were in Montana during that time period. This is a independent movie written and directed by Jared Moshe. it is a gritty western fairly well made.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service