Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

What was the purpose of putting a Sheridan cannon on an M-60 hull. Seems to me you got the worst of both worlds...a slow vehicle whose missile components would fall off the turret wall.

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matt, I trained on the M60A2 (Starship) at Knox. The gun was the same but the turret has completely redesigned with three hatches. Pretty cool but is was canned. The recoil was nothing close to the Sheridan.

I would have to agree with you on the recoil. I was a Sheridan Gunner at Ft Carson, Co, after I left the 2nd ACR. I did see an M-60A2 at Ft Knox in 1969 (test phase as the M-60A1E1)

That makes sense about the recoil, I was wondering about their roll in the scheme of things. I want to say they were for combat engineers but I only have a vague memory about them and cannot say for sure. I think they got rid of them at the rock when we switched over to M-60's. but again I'm just guessing.

There was only one Battalion of the M60A2’s at “The ROCK” Kirchgoens Germany just outside Butzbach. 3rd Armor Divison “Spearhead”   1978

It did have one hell of a Cupola, and yes the three hatches in the turret were different.

They spent most of the time parked side by side across the road of the Maintenance shops.

I was assigned to 2/32 Armor we had M60A1-Rise tanks. I now remember, that after AIT they wanted some of us to stay at Fort Knox for additional training on the Sheridan’s, not sure what the plan was at the time, but that was one thing I did not Volunteer for.

I was assigned to 4-67 Armor "The Bandits" in Friedberg. When I reported into the battalion in May 1987 the battalion was just getting ready to turn in their M1's with the 105MM gun for M1A1's and the 120. Anyway there was a mural of a M60A2 as you entered the battalion headquarters so maybe at one time they had them too.

Yes, I think they had some at each squadron.

I never saw an A2 after Knox, summer '75. Each Squadron had a Company with M60A1s at that time. At least that is how I remember it. Just about all I can remember is we were not "home" a whole lot.

Ya got that right. Brought my wife over and she kept a calendar of the days we were out... at Graf, border, FTX's and such. In the first year she was over there she counted 10 months of days that we were gone.

The M60A2 was fielded in order to fill a gap between US ammunition performance and Soviet armament defensive capability. The late 60s and early 70s 105 MM main gun round didn't quite have the power to punch through the frontal armor of the soviet tanks being fielded. The Shillelagh missie provided both additional range and a shaped charge warhead that tested well against soviet armor. Fortunately, the TOW missile was fielded almost at the same time as the M60A2 and proved to be much more lethal and reliable.
If my memory serves me, each armored division in Germany in the Mid-70s to early 80s was assigned an armored battalion equipped with the M60A2. Each division encorporated the M60A2s into their defensive sector to best exploit the added range and killing power. In the 1st Armored Division in 76-79, 1/37 AR in 1st Brigade was equipped with the M60A2. During exercises, the A2's were deployed in terrain best suited for the missile's use.
Reliability of the weapon system was horrible. During gunneries, my DS armament team spent every night swapping servicable missile black boxes from tanks that fired that day onto tanks scheduled to qualify the next day. At least that way the crews could qualify with their own tank. The next day the broken black boxes were put back into their tank. Those were the days of Red, Amber, and Green to designate the readiness of the combat systems. I don't remmeber more than a handfull of M60A2s being Green at any given time.

I knew there had to be a reason....the idea makes sense....I always wondered if the missile components would have been more reliable if we hadn't fired that 155 round out of them. By the time I got to the rock we weren't firing any more missiles so we never knew if they were going to work or not. Thanks for the info. This makes me wonder about the development time for the M-1. When did development start for example, and if the army put missile training off because they knew the m-1 was coming on line.

Colonels of the Regiment

8th Colonel of the Regiment Nelson B. Sweitzer 9 Jun 1886 – 29 Oct 1888

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2018   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service