Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Desperately seeking photos from 1969-1971 era of the Rock, Bindlach, Bayreuth and the How. battery about then. I served there but a nasty divorce removed all traces of my visit. M60's, M114's, almost anything from the border at Wieden or anythig like that would be wildly appreciated. I come from I/2 ACR B troop, 1969-1971.. Thanks, DW

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings

And thank you very much for submitting those photos.  What I remember most about the sub post was that there was a bar there, and great big serious guns.  Also If I'm not mistaken the MP's were posted there?   Interestingly enough, my Uncle's name is Robert Joseph Williams.  Small world.  Hey write me anytime,

DW

Daniel,

My pleasure.  I didn't have much time to take photos since I lived on the 'Rock' and commuted daily to/from the Battery.  I made that 8 km trip many, many times.  I can still remember the New Years Day Alert when we left Bayreuth with 50% and were 100% within the time limit in our alert position North of the 'Rock'.

Oh yes, the MP's were there.  Since we had that little club, most of my troops stayed out of town and trouble.  We had to keep a low profile  because of an incident a few years earlier.  We never wore our red scarfs in Bayreuth.  If you don't know why, I'll let you know sometime.

BTW: I am doing my ancestry and have a brick wall in Tennessee about 1800-1840.  Did you have any relatives there? LOL

Joe

Joe,

Was the Officer's Club still in Bayreuth when you were there? We lived right across the street from it in 1954, and I found it in 2008 when I visited. It was just across the park from the Wagner opera house on Parsifalstrasse.

My older brother one time got onto sub-post (about 7 years old at the time) and shot all the windows out of the motor pool with his sling-shot. My dad was the motors officer, so guess who had to pay for all the windows? My brother thought he was cool as hell because he got a ride home in an MP jeep, but the feeling didn't last long.

This is my mom and I in front of the Officer's Club.

good  picture Dave... so this is where you learned how to get in the arms of  opposite!!!  I say that respectively and in humor,, I know this is your mother!!!!          thats a pretty fancy officer club....

Dave,

It was still in Bayreuth.  The problem was that we all lived at Christenson Barracks on the Rock, 8 km away.  We made a lot of DUI type trips home.  The Officers Club was the old SS Headquarters and had a pit in the basement that was used for torture.  The Police Chief was an associate member and had all kinds of information.

Joe

Living right across the street, our house was the scene of a lot of after hour parties. I've got several b&w photos of parties at the club, mostly costume.

And then there was my dad and future Major General Stan R. Sheridan as the incoming 1955 and outgoing 1954 respectively.

This is what the club looked like in 2008. We talked to a lady coming out the gate and she invited us in to tour the place, but we didn't want to keep her from her Christmas shopping. Found out later from a friend who lives in Bayreuth that the house belongs to a Dr. Wagner, but not related to the opera Wagner's.

I was browsing again and sumbled across a site with all kinds of maps.  Check it out for information. www.usarmygermany.com/USAREUR_City_grafenwoehr.htm" target="_blank">http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/USAREUR_City_grafenwoehr.htm

Bayreuth, Bindlach, Christensen Barracks, Graff, Vilseck, etc.

Attachments:

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

7th Colonel of the Regiment John P. Hatch

26 June 1881 - 9 January 1886

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service