Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

I left Bindlach the day before Thanksgiving and ended up in Bremerhaven next thing you know we are on a transport ship going through the English channel. (I volunteered to go advance party.) Quite an experience travelling through the Med, Red Sea, Persian Gulf on a ship. The best was pulling guard duty at the Port of Said. We were issued live rounds and told anything tries to get up these ropes shoot to kill.

Views: 104

Replies to This Discussion

I was with I Troop at Camp Reed which had just been renamed a forward training camp on 9 November 1990 when we were told the Platoon was to return the following day and bring as much camp equipment as possible back to Amberg the following day. Later on that day a news update (Dick Cheney) informed us of the units that would be deploying, with 2nd ACR as one of the units. The following day the Platoon conducted a TRM back to Amberg. On 2 December my plane touched down in Saudi Arabia. At around 2AM we all loaded a bus enroute to tent city, after about a K or so down the road the driver needed to top in which he did. Then we proceeded about another K in which the bus came to an abrupt halt. The bus driver had put gasoline into a diesel engine. After several hours and many busses passing one stopped and picked up the group as we finally made our way to tent city and prepared for the TRM to our forward base camps.

From Charleston AFB, where I coincidentally saw my now x-brother in law on the ramp , I was packed into a C-141  headed for Laguardia Airport in NYC.  From there it was 1st class ( not even close) on a Pan Am 747!  We stopped in Rome for fuel & food and then on the Riyadh.  As Guido & Mario loaded the goods, I stood on their scissors jack loading platform and actually smoked a cigarette.  As a late call-up, I didn't arrive in the sand box until Valentines Day.  We flew from Riyadh to KKMC in a  C-130 which pretty much sucked.  For my fist night in country, stayed in a big fest tent with what looked like several hundred othere soldiers.  As luck would have, they blew a SCUD alert & everybody scrambled for their p- masks.  Nothing more foolish than seeing a female soldier putting lotion on her legs & arms while wearing a protective mask.   The next day it was off to the 24th ID (MECH) in an Engineer 5 ton dump truck that almost flipped. I swear we had to grab people to keep them from going over the side.  At some point in the night it actually rained.  While at the divisional HQ I saw & heard  a CSM dogging a PAC guy for tossing bags of mail out of a trailer so he could crawl in out of the rain to sleep.  The mail bags were soaked.  I eventually made it to their Divisional Cav Squadron (2/4 Cav) only to link up with my old 2 ACR mentor CSM Gene Soucy.  If landing in a combat zone can have a soft landing mine did thanks to several familiar faces.  That's the beauty of the extended Cav family, they're everywhere! 

Tojours Pret- Always Ready! 

We left " The Rock " in early Decenber ( 5th or 6th), rode to Rhine Main in the snow with a sore ass ( from the gamogloblin shot ) and boarded a commercial jet. Probably the first and only time I heard a pilot come over the intercom and wish us a good flight and to please place our weapons muzzel down. Landing in Saudi the pilot then told us that if it was not nailed down on the plane, take what you want. It was hotter than hell once we got off the plane.

RSS

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

7th Colonel of the Regiment John P. Hatch

26 June 1881 - 9 January 1886

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2017   Created by Robb Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service