Dragoon Base

Connecting the Troopers of Today with the Veterans of Yesterday.

Everyone knows about Rudolph Hess and his suicide in Spandau Prison. Truth is, not a single German or American in Germany I knew believed Hess had committed suicide. I even remember former American Guards who worked at Spandau saying not possible Hess committed suicide. People were still investigating to find out what really happened as late as a few years ago. Either way, he died in Spandau in 1987. 

B Troop, 1/1 Cav was occupying Camp Gates when Hess died. The 1SG put the word out that we could expect a large gathering of Neo-NAZI's at Camp Gates. Someone had put the word out that Rufolf Hess body had been turned over to the Americans and we were storing Rudolf Hess body in Camp Gates Mess Hall freezer. (I am not making that up). 

The way I remember it about 2 or 3 Neo-NAZI's showed up and the Gate Guard was instructed to just explain to them nicely that the rumor that Hess body was in our Mess Hall freezer was false, we have nothing to do with Hess and they left. A few years ago one of the Germans on our Cav. Group explained why that happened (And was true) as did one of the permanent Op's guys from Gates. 

The Hess family historical hometown as well as the Hess Family cemetery is located in Wunsiedel, about six miles from Marktredwisz (And Camp Gates). The Mayor (Burgermeister) of Wunsiedel did not want the Hess Family Cemetery to become a Neo-NAZI Shrine. So the Burgermiester of Wunsiedel put out that Rudolf Hess was in Camp Gates Mess Hall Freezer. He did it to redirect the Neo-NAZI's while Hess was being buried in a secret location. Seven months later, after everything died down, Hess was transferred to the family plot in Wunsiedel and became a Neo-NAZI shrine anyway, because of that in 2011 Wunsiedel refused a renewal of Rudolf Hess grave plot and he was moved to another location. 

Views: 18

Events

Colonels of the Regiment

9th Colonel of the Regiment David R. Clendenin 29 Oct 1888 – 2 Apr 1891

Sponsors

2d DRAGOONS

This was the third design of the 2d Cavalry DUI, worn from 1924-1931. The sharp points on the ends of the bottom scroll again called for a redesign.

MEMORABILIA

Machine Gun Troop, 2d Cavalry; Adjutant General.

© 2019   Created by Dave Gettman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service